Monday 2 February 2009

Praia da luz


WOOHOO we have booked our summer holiday. This will be our first holiday abroad as a family ever. We are SOOOO looking forward to it. Andy's uncle is involved in a company that lets out apartments on the beach at Praia da Luz in Portugal. It is going to be HOT HOT HOT and we get to laze around sunbathing. I cant wait. Have just been looking at the websites to see what the area is like. Having a family member who lives out there will certainly be useful for all the best restaurants and where to shop. Luckily we got a great deal on the flights or would not have been able to afford this holiday at all.


It looks scrumptious. Temperature is expected to be between 25 and 40 - so a nice tan will be had. Andy will have lost even more weight so wont be so uncomfortable as he has been in past years. Hopefully Sev will be able to join us and not in the Navy by then! Not sure what we are going to do with the dogs yet! Will sort that out nearethe time, Millie I am sure will be ok in kennels, but I dont really want Barney in kennels.

I took Barney to the vets tonight as he is holding his head lopsidedly and keeps losing his balance. I told the doctor that he is aging and told him about his lack of winter coat, losing weight and absentmindedness and how weak his legs seem to be. He has given me antibiotics for an inner ear infection and a non steroidal anti-inflammatory called Ramidyl. I looked this up on the web site as I always do with animal medication (why doesn't animal medication come with an information sheet like human medication?) There were some worrying stories about 15-20% of dogs ending up with liver failure due to this drug. I have found out the warning signs to look out for - vomiting, not eating and sleepiness. So at least I know what to look out for. If he has any of these symptoms I will be straight back to the vets for a check up. I am uncomfortable giving him this medicine but it has helped thousands of other dogs. So let's just hope he is one of the lucky ones!

4 comments:

Staci K. said...

Hi there! your family vacation sounds absolutely wonderful! Portugal looks so beautiful. I understand the hesitation for boarding your pups. I hate to board mine too. I hope Barney gets feeling better soon - he is very handsome.

Joan J said...

What a wonderful place to go on vacation! I'm jealous! Our snow and cold here in Ohio makes me crave warmth and sunshine. I too, understand your quandry in boarding the dogs. After a bad kennel that drugged our dog so he wouldn't bark, we found small, private kennels (run by folks who just plain love dogs) work best for us. Good luck!

FibreJunky said...

Oh, I so hope Barney gets better!!!

a1nnie said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. Thankfully with medication Barney is improving although he is aging so obviously still slow and stiff but he seems much happier and ready to play now which is a huge relief. Boarding is a necessary evil if going abroad, but we have heard from word of mouth of a great one locally so fingers crossed she wont be drugged to keep quiet (how awful Joan for your dog to have been treated so appallingly)