Thursday 30 April 2009

randomness

I really must change the header of this blog - the black is much too depressing for Spring. Not actually growing anything as yet on the allotment, except rhubarb. James, my brother, very kindly helped me to dig over and prepare the ground for the potatoes. I will put the potatoes in at the weekend. I have bought some seeds so I really must get those done as well, might do sew some seeds tomorrow and put them in trays in the greenhouse. I am seriously considering giving up the allotment when the rent runs out in September. My knees and back ache too much and I just cant manage the heavy digging. It will be a great loss, but unless I suddenly lose a lot of weight and get very fit I can't see how things are going to change in that respect.

My brother was visiting us so he could start the prep for our new kitchen. He has pulled out the old larder and lifted the tiles off the floor. He has also nicely boarded up the door that did lead to the hall from the kitchen. The kitchen fitter came round yesterday to check the kitchen designer had done his calculations right. There is a bit of an issue about the fridge. it is too big to go where we wanted it to - where the larder was. The larder was under the stairs so there is a lintel in the way. We cant remove the lintel otherwise the stairs will fall down. So he has left the lintel and had to leave a supporting pole as well.

I was pretty upset about the fridge as it is only a year old and I really like it. However Andy's parents asked if they could have it and we have said that is okay. mainly because when they move in 6-8 weeks time they are giving us their range cooker, a double bed, two bedside cabinets and a drinks cabinet. So "fair swap" I guess!! We will just have to buy a similar fridge which is smaller. The kitchen designer said the kitchen would be fitted beginning of July, but the fitter said it wont be until August!! So not happy about that as we have the floors bare now. Oh well, it is always stressful having works done or moving, but things are bearable so I shouldn't complain. It is not like we don't have any or minimal use of the kitchen.

The kids are soon to start their exams so we have exam papers everywhere and revision timetables to keep an eye on. They both seem okay about it, though i think Alice wishes she had lots of time in between each exam. Sev actually did some revision without being reminded today! I was amazed and pleasantly surprised. He is so annoyingly laid back about his studies, although acutely aware now of how bright he is now that he is in main stream education. He says if he doesn't do well enough in his exams to get in the Navy as an officer he will just go in as a rating. Oh he is so annoying. Why can't he have a bit of motivation! Just an ounce of the motivation his sisters have would be something. But I am sure he will do well no matter what he does - he just seems to be lucky in that respect. Time will tell.

I took Alice to the supermarket to buy a little book that she can use as a school leavers book. She has decorated it and is going to take it into school for her friends to write in and decorate. I dug out an autograph book that I had when I was 14 - it is exactly 30 years old! Can you imagine that. I am surely not old enough to have a book that I have kept for that long. I couldn't remember some of the people who had written in the autograph book, mostly school friends, but it was nice to read through it. I am sure she will cherish her leavers book for 30 years too. LOL We talked about her last day/exam and how she and all her friends will probably cry. They will probably see each other during the holidays and beyond I should think. Six of them are arranging to spend the weekend camping together which is a great idea as a final get together. She unfortunately will be missing the prom. I think she is more disappointed about not getting a dress than actually going to the prom. I might just let her buy a dress just for the hell of it, I am sure she can find some opportunity to wear it this summer - maybe for her 16th birthday party.

No comments: