Friday 24 April 2009

allotment

Well it is allotment time again. The old regulars are back and it is nice to say hello to everyone again and have a little chat. We do actually do some work too though. And there is plenty to do. I have done my usual "not in the mood for it" all through April and now find myself having to play catch up. My potatoes and onions aren't even in yet. They are supposed to be planted March/April, so I guess I have a few days left! Hopefully my brother James will be down to give me a hand with the digging. I really just don't have the strength for the serious digging. Pottered about today clearing some weeds. And the other day cut some of the grass at the side. I will get some seeds on Pay day which is next Wednesday and start planting. My allotmet neighbours are watering their allotments every day as we have had glorious sunshine all week. I don't actually have anything to water yet! mmm, I really do need to catch up.

From vegetable growing to apples. I have been doing my usual surfing through google and as usual one site leads to another and I find a great idea that I want to try out. This time it was how to make a picture using text. http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Pictures-out-of-Text I tried to do a bowl of fruit first but it really was just too complicated. So I eventually came across the idea of using the apple logo and this is the result. Go on, have a play. I have been reading a book by Darren Waller called "Random Acts Of Kindness. It lists 365 suggestions for doing a random act of kindness to a loved one or a stranger. It is humourously written. For example. "Shop locally instead of at the supermarket, unless you are a shoplifter" I thought that was quite funny. But it has some really lovely things that have seemed quite a small token by one person but has made a huge impact on the recipient. Like the man whose toll had been paid by the previous driver cheering him when he was on the way to a funeral. Really uplifting stories in there and some funny ideas too. I just might try one/some. I definitely intend to send a post card to my company's post room and IT dept to thank them for their brilliant work which does tend to go unremarked upon.

Sarah is still with us, but is going back tomorrow evening. It seems she has had a fun time hanging out with her friends this week. It has been good to have her back for a week.

We all went to the theatre to see Sweeney Todd, the musical thriller by the local amateur theatre group. It was a fantastic night out. The show was excellent with its little quirks and some of the singers were really great. We thought the way they arranged the disposal of the bodies from his barber chair was hilarious. They had the barber shop set 10 steps above the stage floor and the chair was swivelled round and the trap door opened so the body slid down onto stage floor, behind the scenery. It made us laugh every time they used it.

No comments: