Saturday 7 November 2009

Shattered in Sheffield

I am absolutely shattered. Have come to visit Sarah for a few days in Sheffield. Today we went geoaching in the Peak District. We went up Winn Tor which is about 400m high. I look a little windswept here! It was raining and a little bit cold and we were tired from walking up and up and up. You can just about see the view behind Sarah; she has the cache in her hands.



There was a series of caches along the way, so plenty of opportunities for a rest. We got to as far as we were going to, height wise and unfortunately it was raining. But we had had some fabulous views. I couldn't believe how many people were trekking, and cycling, up and down here. We got back to a place called Hope where we had the car parked and had a nice hot cup of tea that I had put into a flask. Boy did that taste good. So we are home now and showered and I am going through some red wine whilst chilling out. My knees are agony but I am pleased that we did it.

Yesterday we went round a cemetry looking for clues and a cache. Sadly we didn't find the cache, though I am pretty sure we got the clues right and were looking in the right area. I think the cache itself was quite small and difficult to find with all the leaves on the ground. Will have to try this one another time of the year. The cemetry was really old though, 1800 - 1850 mostly and was really creepy and overgrown. This is a picture which gives you an idea of just how unkempt and overgrown it is right now. It is a real shame as there are some noteworthy people interred here. This website gives a more in depth description about the cemetry. http://www.gencem.org/


It was on a hill and there were some very interesting headstones. I took some photos for a cemetry photo swap on swap bot that I am doing. I think there might be a few good photos in there. It was raining when we went round so was suitably atmospheric.













Sarah tells me it always rains here, and I think I am inclined to believe her as it has hardly stopped raining the whole time I have been here. Be glad to be home back down south, have a hot bath and hopefully not have too much rain!

2 comments:

Greenfingers said...

Pity about the rain, but the walks sound good:)

rl said...

How interesting! Your photos are just gorgeous too.